Sunday, August 24, 2014

ON THE PSYCHOLOGICAL NEED FOR FOOD





Food Cravings of the Elderly

I often wonder why my 79 year old mother always craves for food. But if you give her food, she would just nibble on it. She is a picky eater, so I often wonder why this incessant craving for food.

I am not big on food either, as I eat whatever is within my reach. If hungry, I drink coffee, eat a banana, or any food that's just nearby.

I don't have cravings nor do I go out of my way  to eat a particular kind of  food. My mom's incessant food demands that she won't even eat, makes me go crazy. I can't understand it, and it makes me go ballistic --- just like what happened this morning.

I say to her, that we buy biscuits and fruits and put them in a table near her. If she gets hungry, she can just grab anything she likes and munch on it as much as she wants.

I don't think that she is even hungry, and these demands are just her psychological need for attention.  I think, that as you get older, food becomes unimportant. It  simply becomes a means to drive  the hunger pangs away.

POSTSCRIPT:

 
It finally dawned on me that my mom's urgent need for food early in the morning, is so she can feed her cats! Whoa! I now realized that taking care of an elderly parent, would also include feeding her pets of three cats and a dog!

Now, go tell that to the birds! :D



Photo credit: pixabay.com by Surfeliper/Public Domain CCO




writer_csm


Onli in da Pilipins: A Writer's Journal

Copyright © csmiravite™. All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment